Saturday, April 01, 2006

Procrastination

This month’s theme is DEALING WITH PROCRASTINATION

Inspirational quotes
Putting off a hard thing makes it impossible - George Horace Lorimar
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today – Thomas Jefferson
Procrastination is the thief of time. – Edward Young


All of us procrastinate at some time or another, and for many different reasons. I’m certainly not immune. Sometimes I’m just lazy, or I think it’s going to be too difficult, or I just don’t feel like doing it, or I build it into this mammoth task. The solution is to find a couple of methods that work for you and use those to propel you to action. In other words, procrastinate in the best way. Hang on a second – I’ll explain…

I have many tricks up my sleeve to combat this monster. If something needs to be done and it doesn’t have a deadline yet, I’ll leave it for a day or two and then… one morning I’ll come in, quickly check emails (15 mins) and not do anything (no coffee or breakfast) until that thing is done. You can also give yourself a self-imposed deadline. Say, this has got to be done before lunch, and sure enough, you’ll work furiously getting it done. I had a day like that today – I’d been putting off writing a sales script yesterday and gave myself 2 hours. When I actually did it, it only took me an hour.

Or reward yourself the minute it’s done – depending on the size of the task, of course. Like a cup of coffee for making a difficult phone call.

For bigger tasks, it always helps if you tell yourself you’ll work on it for just 15 minutes. Anybody can do anything for 15 minutes. Usually by the time 15 minutes rolls around, you’ll have gotten into it and want to make some serious headway. I do this with gym – “I only have to stay for 30 minutes” and before you know it, the class is over and an hour’s gone.

This month, I want you to focus on areas of your life where you might be procrastinating and make a decision to just do something – anything – for 15 minutes!

You can do it!

(C) Marcia Francois

Do you want to use this article? You may, as long as you include this complete bio with it: Marcia Francois, the Take Charge coach and professional organiser, coaches people to reach their goals and maximise their potential. She publishes the popular “Take charge of your life” monthly ezine. If you're ready to finally live your dream life, get your FREE subscription now at http://www.organiseyourbusiness.com/

No comments: